After completing my first little embroidery project (here) a while back I knew I wanted to do more DIY-ing of some clothes that I don’t really wear anymore, however I thought I’d switch it up this time and try out fabric painting. Again, this was not something I’d ever tried before – I hadn’t even painted anything in general since art class in about Year 8, so this was a completely new experience.
Starting this off was incredibly daunting, as I had no idea what I was doing and was so scared of ruining what was actually a nice dress. Unlike when I tried embroidering a top for the first time, if it looked bad or I made a mistake, there was nothing I could do. I couldn’t just unpick the thread and try again – once the paint touched the fabric, there was no going back.
Rather than just jumping in and actually making a commitment, I started off by sketching out a design using chalk, so that way I could still make adjustments, and remove parts using water.
Once I was happy with the design, I went in with white fabric paint and filled it out, creating a solid, clean base. This was so that the design would be set and wouldn’t brush off every time I moved or touched the dress, and so that when I added the colours later, they would be more vibrant and true to colour. Afterwards, I let it dry and painted away – I don’t really have any tips or tricks for this part, I just went in and had fun with it, without thinking or planning much further.
So this is the finished product, and I’m so proud of it. There’s definitely a lot I would have done differently if I could go back in time and a lot of improvements I would still want to make. Having said that though, it’s all a learning process, and the most important thing is that I enjoyed it, and I really did.
Also, I’ll be uploading more of an outfit-style post featuring this dress pretty soon so you can see what it actually looks like better, so look forward to that I guess 🙂